... and I keep dancing

Welcome to my Argentine Tango blog! I began this blog about a year after starting to dance Argentine Tango. That year had been both wonderful and frustrating. I started recording my progress and feelings from that point on... and both wonder and frustration have continued, only even more intensely.


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

A 5 year self-assessment


I started dancing Argentine Tango about 5 years ago, after previous 4 years or so of ballroom (including "international" tango) and (with a 10+ years gap) previous training and some performing and choreographing in modern, jazz and contact improv. As I look back to my dancing "career" carved out of a demanding science and engineering profession, it has become abundantly clear to me that dancing has had a profound impact on my life, all the way from how I spend much of my free time, to the people I associate with, including my ex-wife (a pro-level modern dancer) and more recent close relationships.

So, how do I feel about my Tango? First of all I wish I had started it at the very beginning of my dancing, thirty-some years ago... I can't help but fantasizing how "good" and possibly even well known I might be by now. Still I feel that there is probably something unique that can come out of my prior experience, and I fully intend to bring it out. Something in me also continues to be convinced that I can become a very good Tango dancer. One point of attraction for me in the culture of Tango has been the realization that its subtlety and depth make the contribution of "older" dancers valuable and appreciated. I fully intend to take advantage of that. I am also a singer and musician, which really enhances my dancing musicality. In addition I have started building a repertoire of Tango songs to perform (eventually...).

All this being said, after 5 years (dancing at least 3 or 4 times a week), while part me wants to enter competitions, start teaching beginners and work on performing,  another, loud and more realistic, part of me feels like I am still a "beginner" and in dire need of continuous review of the "basics". I constantly waiver between strong positive opinions of some ways I am able to move, and awe for some of the professional tangueros I would like to model myself after. I wish I could just go to BA for at least a year and put myself in the hands of one of the great dancers... We are fortunate in the Bay Area, in having great teachers and a constant flow of phenomenal performers to inspire us. On the other hand it can also be a confusing hodge podge of directions and styles that cannot be easily sorted out.

In all, whether or not I will be able to fulfill my vision of constant improvement and contribution to the Tango community, I have been having the time of my life, have had the pleasure of dancing with great followers, have made great friends and I continue to be inspired by both the movement and the music of Tango.

It’s as good as it gets…

No comments: